The Secretary for Justice (who chairs the Commission), the Chief Justice and the Law Draftsman are ex officio members of the Commission. In addition, the Chief Executive appoints a number of other members, one of whom is usually a Judge of the High Court or the Court of Final Appeal. The remaining members include not only academics and practising lawyers, but also prominent non-lawyer members of the community. To-date, 79 individuals have served as members of the Commission since its establishment in 1980.
The Hong Kong Law Reform Commission is unusual among law reform agencies in including non-lawyers in its membership. While much law reform work involves technical legal questions, there are few areas in which extra-legal considerations do not also apply. By containing within its ranks leaders from a variety of fields, the Commission hopes to approach law reform with both the requisite legal expertise and with the experience of the wider community. This principle is carried through to the method of working on individual projects.
The current members of the Law Reform Commission are:
- Ms Teresa Cheng, GBS, SC, JP, Secretary for Justice (Chairman)
- Hon Chief Justice Geoffrey Ma, GBM, Chief Justice of the Court of Final Appeal
- The Hon Mr Justice Robert Tang Kwok-ching, SBS, Permanent Judge of the Court of Final Appeal
- Ms Theresa Johnson, Law Draftsman
- Ms Christine Fang, BBS, JP, former Chief Executive of Hong Kong Council of Social Service
- Mr Eugene Fung, SC
- Professor Christopher Gane, Dean of the Faculty of Law, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Professor Michael Hor, Dean of the Faculty of Law, The University of Hong Kong
- Mr Allan Leung, Partner, Hogan Lovells
- Professor Lin Feng, Associate Dean of School of Law, City University of Hong Kong
- Ms Alexandra Lo, JP, Consultant, Robertsons, Solicitors and Notaries
- Mr Robert Y H Pang, SC
Ms Michelle Ainsworth, Principal Government Counsel, is the Commission Secretary.
From left to right (front) Mr Eugene Fung, SC; Mr Paul Wan; Hon Chief Justice Geoffrey Ma, CJ; Hon Rimsky Yuen, SC, SJ; Hon Mr Justice Tang, PJ; Ms Angela Lee; (back) Ms Christine Fang; Mr Robert Pang, SC; Prof. Michael Hor; Prof. Christopher Gane; Prof. Lin Feng; Mr Allan Leung; Ms Michelle Ainsworth.
(Ms Alexandra Lo (absent from photo) is also a Commission member. Ms Theresa Johnson, Law Draftsman (absent from photo), has replaced former Law Draftsman, Mr Paul Wan, on the Commission. Ms Teresa Cheng, GBS, SC, JP (absent from photo), has replaced former Secretary for Justice, Mr Rimsky Yuen, SC, as the Commission Chairman.)
For a list of former members of the Commission, see here.